"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12
About The Bridge
The Bridge is an award winning ministry that serves the community in several ways. For over 10 years, the Bridge's volunteers have helped students from grades K through 12 with their scholastic and spiritual needs three days per week. The Bridge has an ESL course for adults that was started in 2007 and has been very well received by the surrounding community. There is a Bible study for teens one day per week and in 2007 an art class was started. Our goals are:
- To show the love of Christ and share the gospel.
- To improve the lives of our students by providing a quality ESL program.
- To form relationships/friendships with our neighbors.
- To affect change for the better in our community.
The Bridge also has meal teams who provide food for the children on Wednesday nights. After the children eat dinner, they are transported by volunteers to EFCC, their church, to participate in the different clubs provided by the Faith Kids (elementary) and youth ministries.
1. Tutors are needed to come along side these students, especially for the elementary grades. This is an awesome opportunity for a child to see the light of Jesus that shines through you. This only has a time requirement of 2 hours per week for the school year.
2. Wednesday night drivers. On Wednesday evening, we feed the students, drive them to EFCC to participate in the activities of the Wednesday night Clubs & youth ministries and then drive them home. Time requirement, is about 21/2 hours per week.
3. Meal team. Either you individually or your small group can easily be involved with this ministry. All it takes is to prepare, (or purchase), a dinner meal for 25 children once a month through the school year.
4. Snack Team. Provide after school snacks for the children once per week. This can be sodas, cookies, microwave popcorn, etc. This is a great project for your small group.
5. Home clean-up. The Bridge is a very small house in Escondido. We have approximately 150 people that come through our doors each week, most of them children. As you might expect, we are in the need for someone or maybe your small group to dust, and generally straighten up every other week during the school year.
- Start a music program
- Small group leaders for adults in Spanish
- Adult Bible studies in Spanish for women, men and couples
- Someone to create a web site and possibly start a computer technology ministry